Policy Development & Regulatory Support
Based on decades of experience, the VEIC Consulting Division has developed an in-depth understanding of the energy policy landscape. In helping clients develop new policy concepts and legislation, we have come to understand the legislative, regulatory and market frameworks under which effective policies emerge – across the spectrum from nations to states to cities and towns. We regularly work with our clients in the development of new policy ideas, in preparing legislative and regulatory documents, and in communicating with stakeholders.
Examples of our work in this arena include:
- Assisting clients in exploring the many approaches to funding and administering programs, helping our clients find solutions that overcome real world market challenges, and yield deep, long-standing benefits;
- Development, refinement, and implementation of performance incentive mechanisms for efficiency programs;
- Developing and critiquing regulatory filings, filing and defending expert witness testimony before regulators;
- Assisting clients in developing and analyzing policies around portfolio standards, inter-connection standards, net metering, and feed-in-tariffs;
- Working with groups such as New England ISO to develop the rules under which customer-sited renewables, efficiency, and other demand resources would compete with conventional energy suppliers in the market:
- Assessing the impact of energy efficiency and distributed generation initiatives on investments in transmission and distribution systems;
- Assisting numerous national, state, and municipal clients in the development of codes efficiency standards for building construction, rental properties, building equipment, lighting, white goods, and consumer electronics, and working on emerging approaches to requirements for disclosure of building efficiency at the time-of-sale.